By KAHONZI KALIWA
Two members of the same family lost their lives after they were electrocuted at Bowa village in Kwale County.
The deceased Mwaka Dziwe Mwachande 34 years old together with son Juma Rashid 3months old were electrocuted as they went to buy goods at a nearby shop.
Confirming the incident Kwale police commander Joseph Nthenge said the electric post collapsed and broke into two pieces hence causing danger to passersby.
Nthenge said according to the husband of the deceased, late Mwaka was heading to a nearby shop to buy food stuffs for the family.
“The husband said he saw a large crowd gathered upon arrival from work with his late wife lying on the ground electrocuted alongside his son,” explained the police boss.
He added that police have launched investigations on the matter.
According to eyewitness Mwanahamisi Tosha, the power cables have been lying across the road for the last two weeks.
Tosha said that their efforts to contact Kenya power officials Kwale office were fruitless
“We reached out to Kenya Power officials and complained about the hanging electric cables but they failed to respond,” she lamented.
The witness expressed fear that more incidences are likely to occur if the power company fails to be more responsible with dangling wires as well as improving service delivery.
This comes barely two days after businessmen in Kwale town condemned the company for poor services that has left them without any supply of the commodity.
The bodies of the deceased were moved to Kwale hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.