Fri. Jun 5th, 2020

Release them or we Sue You, Muhuri Tells Gov’t over Stranded Kenyans

Muslims for Human Rights Chairperson Khelef Khalifa addressing the media in Mombasa on Tuesday. Image: (Courtesy)

By PETER KOMBE

Email: thecoastnewspaper@gmail.com

Muslims for Human Rights, a Mombasa based NGO has threatened to go to court if the government fails to allow in seven Kenyans stranded at the Kenya-Somali border of Ras Kamboni.

Speaking to the media in Mombasa on Tuesday, MUHURI Chairperson Khelef Khalifa accused Lamu County commissioner Irungu Macharia on claims of denying the Kenyan nationals entry citing ‘order from above’ due to corona pandemic.

Khalifa termed the decision by county commissioner a gross violation of the victims’ rights as stipulated in the 2010 constitution.

“The seven Kenyans were vetted and cleared to return home by the Somali and Kenyan security authorities. At the border they were refused entry into the country, their travelling documents confiscated,” Khelef noted.

The seven Kenyans include; Patrick Shighula Mwangala, Martin Mwangazi, Ignus Kialu, Michael Mjala, Gabriel Kennedy, Elia Mwalili and Abbas Mutuku.

He said the seven Kenyan nationals had been authorized by the immigration department to travel to Kismayo Somalia through Jomo Kenyatta International Airport for a short term welding contract by Solution Engineering Ltd in Nairobi.

According to Khelef the seven nationals have remained locked outside the country for the past one month.

The chair expressed concern that the situation of the seven Kenyan nationals stuck at Ras Kamboni is worsening with the passage of time.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiangi. Image (Courtesy)

“We have written a letter to Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i. This is a violation of the rights of the seven Kenyans. We want them brought back home,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may have missed